Orthopedic ONE Sports Medicine Corner
Orthopedic ONE is proud to be the official Sports Medicine Partner of Elysium Tennis. Each month we will provide tips and tricks to help keep you active and healthy so you can be your best on the court! Look for more specific injury and nutrition-related topics in future newsletters!
Setting S.M.A.R.T. Goals in the New Year
Do you find that your New Year’s Resolutions start strong, and your motivation and resolve slowly dwindle? Utilize the S.M.A.R.T. method to avoid common New Year’s Resolution traps!
Specific: Clear and defined
- Avoid setting open-ended goals, like “I want to be healthier.” Instead, focus on what you can do to make that happen, such as “I will eat four servings of vegetables today” or “I will replace my afternoon soda with a glass of water.”
Measurable: Particular criteria to gauge progress
- Create quantifiable goals, like taking a specific number of steps each day. Try using apps on your phone or smartwatch for a visual representation of your goals and progress. You can also use these devices to connect with health-minded friends to encourage each other on your fitness journeys!
Achievable: Reasonable and attainable
- Your goals need to fit into your lifestyle in order for you to be successful! Your schedule may not be conducive to hitting the gym 7-days a week, but you may be able to commit to playing tennis or pickleball three times per week.
Realistic: Within reach and relevant to your purpose
- If your goal is to get 150 minutes of exercise per week, you can achieve this without a lot of extra time or money. Activities like taking the stairs at work, parking further away from your destination, squeezing in a quick workout during your lunch break, or taking the dog for an extra walk are ways to incorporate movement into your day-to-day life.
Time-bound: Make a clearly defined timeline, including a starting date and a target date
- If your goal is to lose 30 pounds over the course of the year, break it up into how many pounds you plan to lose each week or each month. As you start hitting your weekly or monthly targets, notice how much better you feel and use it as motivation to keep going!
Orthopedic ONE Sports Medicine Services
Onsite Clinic Hours: Jillian Measley, ATC, LAT, serves as Elysium Tennis’ dedicated Certified Athletic Trainer. She holds weekly walk-in clinic hours at Elysium on Tuesdays