Orthopedic ONE Sports Medicine Corner
Orthopedic ONE is proud to be the official Sports Medicine Partner of Elysium Tennis. Each month we will provide tips and tricks to help keep you active and healthy so you can be your best on the court! Look for more specific injury and nutrition related topics in future newsletters!
We all know life gets busy for families around the holidays! With all the preparations, travel, and gatherings, it can be hard to stay on top of your nutrition.
In addition to the hectic pace, when we think of the holidays, many of us consider indulging in special holiday foods and drinks as part of the celebration. Good news! You can savor your favorite holiday treats and maintain good nutrition. The key is balance! Check out these tips to help keep your family healthy throughout the holidays while still enjoying the food that comes with this time of year.
First, focus on the basics. Incorporate the 4 plate components:
- Fruits and Vegetables
- Healthy Fats
Do this while planning for quick dinners at home, going through the buffet line at a party, or ordering from a restaurant or quick-casual joint while traveling.
Next, work on the composition. Fruits and vegetables should take up half of your plate. Then the other half should be split between protein and carbohydrates.
This breakdown will keep you satisfied and provide plenty of nutrients to keep you going throughout your holiday festivities! If these concepts are new to you, click here for a resource to help you get started!
You can also utilize simple ingredient swaps to make your holiday favorites a little healthier.
- Sub canned pumpkin for butter while baking
- Try plain Greek yogurt in place of sour cream
- Use applesauce instead of oil for baked goods
- Replace butter with olive oil when cooking veggies
- Swap heavy cream for half & half
Avoid skipping meals early in the day to “save room” for a holiday feast. This will lead to overeating and not feeling well. Instead, eat at your regular meal times, so you are hungry but not famished, and can enjoy your holiday meal!
Finally, savor your food! Holiday meals and the memories that come with them should be cherished, not feared. Celebrate with your favorite treats, and remember, the key is balance!
Orthopedic ONE Sports Medicine Services
- Onsite Clinic Hours: Jillian Measley, ATC, LAT, serves as Elysium Tennis’ dedicated Certified Athletic Trainer. She holds weekly walk-in clinic hours at Elysium on Tuesdays between 2:30 P.M. and 5:00 P.M.
- Medical Nutrition Therapy: Orthopedic ONE offers self-pay Medical Nutrition Therapy as part of our Sports Medicine Partnership with Elysium Tennis. This nutrition-based treatment is provided by a registered dietitian. MNT helps athletes obtain optimum performance, specific to one’s sport and activity level. For more information on MNT, including scheduling and pricing, contact Megan Stanley, MS, RD, LDN, at 614-827-1050 or [email protected].
- Sports Injury Hotline: If you have experienced an injury that does not require immediate attention, would like to schedule an injury consultation, or have general questions regarding sports medicine care, contact our Sports Injury Hotline. The Certified Athletic Trainer on call will receive messages 7-days a week and return calls between 8:00 A.M. and 7:00 P.M.
Click HERE to download a copy of our Sports Injury Hotline Card.